Q. What is a subluxation?
A. A subluxation is a word chiropractors have used for over 100 years to describe an area of restriction in the spine that is an indicator of reduced nervous system function.
There are two types:
- A structural subluxation is where one vertebra (bone) is stuck or misplaced.
- A meningeal subluxation is where a whole block of vertebrae (bones) move as one, or appear stuck together.
When your chiropractor starts each session they will run they hands down your spine. Notice that some areas appear like blocks of stuck and other areas just one bone feels stuck.
What causes subluxation?
- Structural subluxations tend to be caused by physical events such as falls, accidents or poor posture.
- Meningeal subluxations tend to be caused by emotional and mental stress such as life events, problems at work or home, or from chemical trauma such as poor diet, smoking, or excessive alcohol or caffeine.
Indicators of subluxation include pain (not always), restricted motion of neck, low back or limbs and reduced nerve function.
- How does your life affect the structure in your spine or posture?
- How do your diet and/or mental state impact on your spine or posture?
Use SRI to become more aware of where you hold subluxations in your spine.
Lie on your back and become aware of your spine. Do any areas feel restricted? Using breath, movement or energy, focus your attention on your spine.
- How does it feel?
- Does it move when you breathe?
- Do you feel relaxed or solid?
- Are there areas that are difficult to bring awareness to?
- As you bring attention and awareness to your spine, what changes?
How Network Spinal Analysis and Somato-Respiratory Integration exercises can help you to free yourself from subluxation
- The respiratory wave of NSA care is the best strategy to help you connect and release tension in the spine
- Tension can only be healed from the inside if you reach a state of peace or ease. This is best created with the application of NSA to the spine
- The Respiratory Wave and the Stage 1 SRI exercises are essential during this process to help the brain to reorganize itself at a higher level of function
- Becoming aware is an important step to increase your self-healing capacities
Questions and key observations to deepen the season of discovery on this subject
- Are you aware of where you have subluxations or restrictions in your spine, independent of pain?
- How do your current habits create/reduce subluxation in your spine?
- Mental stresses
- What can you change currently to reduce subluxation?
- What can you not change currently to reduce subluxation?
- Become aware of how your life influences your spine and celebrate your increasing awareness